Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Letter to the Editor: Brumfield

Letter To the Editor:

I supported Duane Quam in the past, and I feel that was a mistake. During the last session, I went to the Capitol to visit with legislators who represent me; I had some information about current issues that I felt should influence their decisions. It is standard practice that lawmakers will make every effort to meet with constituents who come to the Capitol. Nineteen other people also attempted to see Mr. Quam on the same day I was there. We couldn't get an appointment even though we called in advance. We worked with Mr. Quam's office to find a time and place where we could speak for a few minutes. Other legislators came out of the same meetings where he was, to meet with their constituents, and they told Mr. Quam that we waited outside. But Mr. Quam disappeared out the back door. We went back to his office to meet him, his staff tried to help us find a constantly disappearing legislator. He never turned up as expected; his staff directed us back to his next committee meeting where we stood by. But he never showed up. Many of the people filled out comment cards at his office, leaving their contact information. To my knowledge, none of those people have ever been contacted by Duane Quam. When I left, I felt that my Representative was representing his own views, and had no interest in the views of the voter.

Back home, I spoke with other people who had similar experiences with Duane Quam at the Capitol, and I was told that several groups had been unable to meet with him. I heard of one group of teachers who did finally corner him and they felt that they had to block the exit to the room just to get him to hear their concerns. One teacher told me she overheard Mr. Quam tell his staff "Don't let those people get near me.” 

I have firsthand knowledge of Duane Quam’s opponent-John Vossen. For many years I have known John to be a person who will always listen to everyone, consider all the evidence, and come up with decisions that are fair and good. I have known him as someone who can work well with all sides to arrive at equitable solutions.

I cannot condone Mr. Quam's behavior and I apologize to the voters for my part in sending a Representative to the Capitol who has repeatedly refused to  even hear the people whom he was elected to represent. I feel that I made a terrible mistake during the last election and I hope that you will join with me in my efforts to fire Mr. Quam and stop him from using our forum to further his own personal views. Let’s vote together for John Vossen and put representation back in the office of Representative for District 25A.

Jim Brumfield
Kasson, MN


No comments:

Post a Comment

You are highly encouraged to share your opinions and thoughts. Comments are moderated, and will not be posted until reviewed, anything that may be inappropriate for all ages will not be posted.

PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR NAME WITH THE COMMENT OTHERWISE IT MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED.