Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Letter to the Editor: Quattrin

Letter to the editor:

I am encouraged to tell you a bit about our future.

I had the honor of interviewing the ambassador candidates for this year’s Festival in the Park.  I arrived late and had to quickly go through their applications.  Skimming through their explanations of activities, interests and betterment plans for Kasson, I was impressed at their spelling, grammar and vocabulary skills (the journalist in me, I guess).

 The interview process was casual and informal, from a judge’s perspective.  We sat in a cozy room and were ready to ask personal but not too intimate of questions.  From a candidate’s perspective I imagine it was a bit more intimidating.  Three “old” women about to fire off “God-only-knows” what kind of questions deciding a piece of their future.

One at a time, each candidate was brought in and politely introduced themselves.  I didn’t know exactly what kind of conversations we were going to have but I have to admit, I was surprised by the depth and heart of each one.

I didn’t get the “canned” responses I’ve heard many times in the past, “I would make a great representative for such-and-such community because I’m a people person.” (I’ve heard this more than I can count in various judging capacities over the years).  What I did hear however, gave one of my co-judges goose bumps, brought tears to the eyes of another and gave me a renewed sense of hope and pride in the children being raised  in this community.

Each young man and young lady poured out their hearts explaining why they care about other people, who helped instill their sense of character and what it means to be a leader.  On more than one interview we heard the word 'ethical' to describe the way they plan to live their lives.  The students explained what it meant to think more of someone else than of themselves.  They spoke highly of each other and then…the backbone of what makes them so incredibly special…their parents.  One girl cried as she tried to explain how her mother, ordinary by society’s standards, was extraordinary in her mind.  The other candidates also spoke of how their parents played a key role in their community and world they live in.

I am impressed. I am moved.  And I am comforted knowing that these bright youngsters are going to be our future leaders.  I am also encouraged to see a glimpse of what to expect in my own children, knowing I can trust them to be in capable hands in our school district, did I mention these kids are smart?

I will end on this thought;  I know these young men and women are putting their best foot and best “face” forward as they are fully aware they’re being judged.  But they spoke from their hearts and there is no faking the truest sincerity that is born out of true character.

Betsy Quattrin



No comments:

Post a Comment

You are highly encouraged to share your opinions and thoughts. Comments are moderated, and will not be posted until reviewed, anything that may be inappropriate for all ages will not be posted.

PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR NAME WITH THE COMMENT OTHERWISE IT MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED.