Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Torn

I am really torn on what to do with bloggers on our DCI web site. Currently people are allowed to make comments without signing their name. We do screen what is written and have had to delete inappropriate comments.

I am a little old school (all right, more than a little). If a person is unable to submit an unsigned Letter to the Editor why should they be able to make a comment on the web site and not give their name?  To me writing a comment on the web and and not signing a name takes much of the credibility out of the content. If you have an opinion and want to express it then tell us who you are.

What do the readers think? I posed that question on the DCI web site this week.

If we were to require people to sign their name the comments would drop considerably. That's just the way people are. They have an opinion, want to share it with the world, but want to share it anonymously. Maybe I don't get it. Being in the newspaper business I put my name to everything I write. Why shouldn't anyone else?



2 comments:

  1. I think that people should not have to leave a name if they do not want to, because some things are controversial. If for example I had some acquaintances/friends. and I write something, I could end up with a lot of enemies just for stating an opinion. True we don't always have to agree on everything, but if I state my opinion on say politics, I vote for the best man, it doesn't matter if the best one is Republican or Democratic, I say I think person "A" is best. I could gain enemies real fast, because those people want "B" elected because thy only vote for a certain party because of the party, not because he's the better.
    Please feel free to edit this so it makes sense to you and your readers.
    PWJS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to look at things both ways. I remember about 25 years ago at the early levels of political involvement. I was asked my position on abortion and said that I was pro choice with restrictions. The women was pro life (great), but kept pushing her view until I finally decided that I didn't want to be involved with this type of "you will accept and will not have your own belief" politics.

    My point is simply that I put my name to that and was shelled for my beliefs. So in a community such as Kasson where generations have grown up and beliefs have become deeply rooted you do need to allow for some anonymity to protect the person.

    Also this allows for others with similiar thougths to express theirs without the fear of chastisement. I read the articles the Mayor has put out and the replies he gets not to mention how Officer Peck was made to look for doing his job when he clearly states what his role is in his position of SRO.

    So, here I go with giving my first name (to be known) and last name (to remain anonymous).

    Ken

    ReplyDelete

You are highly encouraged to share your opinions and thoughts. Comments are moderated, and will not be posted until reviewed, anything that may be inappropriate for all ages will not be posted.

PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR NAME WITH THE COMMENT OTHERWISE IT MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED.