Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Police Stop

A week ago Friday  I was leaving the office and pulled up to the stop sign at the corner of T & K Towing (across from State Farm Insurance). I was turning left and at this time of the day (4:30 p.m.) traffic can be very busy. I was shaking my head in slight frustration as a sheriff's deputy passed me headed south toward the stop light.  I was thinking to myself, "Maybe I should have gone up to the stop light, waited for the light and then turned left".

Finally there was an opening. I took a left turn and suddenly heard a screeching noise like someone had really slammed on the brakes. I looked around and saw nothing.

I saw flashing lights in my rear view mirror and pulled over. A sheriff's deputy approached me and asked if I knew why he had pulled me over. He said I was not wearing my seatbelt. He saw me shaking my head as he passed and maybe figured I was not belted in.

Anyone who knows me knows that I religiously wear my seatbelt. It's one of those routines I never forget. Never!

The young man was courteous and I repeatedly said I always wear my seatbelt. While running a check on my license I scrambled to find my proof of insurance, which was a temporary one because we had just switched insurance companies. Couldn't find it. "Great, that will really help my cause," I thought to myself.

I received a verbal warning for the seatbelt issue and one for not having proof of insurance in the vehicle.


Had I been issued a ticket for no seat belt I would have gone to court, but I did not receive one and I think he did believe me, I hope.

What bothered me a little bit is the screeching tires. I figured he must have pulled a u-turn in a high traffic area near the stop light to follow me. I stopped back at the office, the door was open and after explaining what happened to one of my employees she said she had heard the screeching tires.

Now if I had just robbed the Kasson Liquor Store I can see the reason to come after me like that. I was driving 30 miles an hour north on Mantorville Avenue for gosh sakes.

I did not realize law enforcement went after suspected seat belt violators the same as someone who has committed a felony. I would have liked to have seen his maneuver.

I was shook up and upset, but I controlled my emotions and had to keep telling myself he was only doing his job. I did not realize seat belt violations were worthy of such pursuit. My heart got a workout.


2 comments:

  1. Is not wearing your seatbelt a violation of law?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well as far as the screeching tires even at low speeds 5-10mph tires can squeal as the vehicle makes a 180 Degree turn. Although I was not there I am hoping that was the case.

    To the other Anonymous question, yes not wearing your seatbelt is a violation of the law. You can reference statute number “169.686.1”.

    ReplyDelete

You are highly encouraged to share your opinions and thoughts. Comments are moderated, and will not be posted until reviewed, anything that may be inappropriate for all ages will not be posted.

PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR NAME WITH THE COMMENT OTHERWISE IT MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED.