Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Letter to the editor: Happy Meals

Letter To the Editor: In Response to the McDonald’s Happy Meal toy ban

When I heard of San Francisco’s ban on toys in McDonald’s Happy Meals, I was overjoyed. For years, I, the mother of two small children, have lamented the waste of money and petroleum used to make these toys. The comment in the earlier editorial (Wed. Nov. 17th) about the toys being a memory maker for children, I believe, is incorrect. I would argue that the majority of today’s children cannot even recall their last Happy Meal toy. Notice I wrote the majority of TODAY’S children. I would also argue that if asked half of the parents who buy the Happy Meals either don’t care or would rather there not be a toy inside. Hey, but it’s free. Free is always good, right? I would urge you to take a different approach.

If the toy is lucky enough to hold the child’s interest for more than two days, where does it end up after that? Salvation Army doesn’t want it, I’ve asked. They aren’t good sellers at garage sales, even if they are FREE. They are not made from recyclable plastic. Where do they end up? In the landfill where they do not decompose.

I am not saying that taking the toy out of Happy Meals will cause people to make better dietary judgements. We all know that french fries are not part of a healthy diet, but we buy them anyway. I am also not asking anyone to deprive their children, grandchildren, nieces or nephews of anything, especially not a happy memory. However, I am asking that you consider making an earth friendly, humanity minded decision by asking the cashier to NOT give you a toy the next time you order a Happy Meal. Enjoy the meal; skip the toy. Explain to your children why you have done this. What a valuable lesson to teach. And after all, what the kids really want is the time spent with someone they love........and of course, the french fries.

Erica Gillis

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are highly encouraged to share your opinions and thoughts. Comments are moderated, and will not be posted until reviewed, anything that may be inappropriate for all ages will not be posted.

PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR NAME WITH THE COMMENT OTHERWISE IT MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED.