Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Letter to the Editor: Heiserman

Letter to the Editor:

I just finished reading a beautiful story, A Walk to Remember, by Nicholas Sparks. It’s about Jamie, a teenage student who was tormented by words from her schoolmates. Seventy years ago I was tormented by words from classmates in an urban junior high school. The taunts were directed at my Christian beliefs and at my being a “farm kid.” My escape came with my transferring to the U of M School of Agriculture, St. Paul, where my faith and farm were part of academia.

Allegedly, bullying led to the death of a K-M student, Rachel. As hurtful as written notes and harsh remarks in the hallway were seventy years ago, electronic messages are much more intense and ever-present. We share in the grief that our community (parents, siblings, grand-parents, students, school faculty and staff, and friends) is experiencing this morning as amidst the purple ribbons throughout our town, there will be the funeral for beautiful Rachel.
           
            Dusty Heiserman
            Kasson, MN


No comments:

Post a Comment

You are highly encouraged to share your opinions and thoughts. Comments are moderated, and will not be posted until reviewed, anything that may be inappropriate for all ages will not be posted.

PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR NAME WITH THE COMMENT OTHERWISE IT MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED.