Tuesday, October 25, 2011

A thank you to Mary

Letter to the Editor

A year ago the DCI ran a front page news article on how the library had cut the hours of Mary Kramer and closed the library on Saturdays because of “budget cuts”. At a special meeting of the Kasson Public Library Board on Oct. 21, 2011; the board voted to terminate Mary Kramer’s job as the circulation librarian that she has held for 20 years. The board did not even give Mary a verbal “thank you” for the years of dedicated work for our library and they did not allow those of us in attendance to speak and say “thank you” to her. So I am writing this letter to publicly say “thank you” to Mary Kramer for her skillful work in serving our community. She has helped countless people over the years with her knowledge of books and media that cannot be replaced. The library patrons have suffered a big loss of service by her dismissal.

I wonder how Kasson can afford a new larger library that will require more staff and a larger budget when we can’t afford Mary and we can’t be open on Saturdays.

            With deep sadness,
            Clint Patterson
            Past President
            Friends of the Kasson Library
   

1 comment:

  1. Rachel Neuzil10/26/2011 9:20 PM

    Being Mary Kramer's niece I can personally say that if it was never for her I would not have gone to the library nearly as much as I did as a child. She filled me with the love of reading and I frequently made trips to the library to return and check out new books. If I had no clue what to read she always had a great recommendation for me. I would also like to thank Mary Kramer. She has worked at the Kasson Public Library for my whole life, and got me my first library card when I was born in the hospital. Without her reading me stories as a child, and letting me know what books she thought I should read I would not have the same literary life style I have today. Thank You Mary.

    Rachel Neuzil

    ReplyDelete

You are highly encouraged to share your opinions and thoughts. Comments are moderated, and will not be posted until reviewed, anything that may be inappropriate for all ages will not be posted.

PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR NAME WITH THE COMMENT OTHERWISE IT MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED.