Tuesday, May 17, 2011

What's happening around Town?

Flo: Hey Joe, I hear you grew up in this town and while driving around Kasson, I saw a very interesting building on 3rd Avenue. What can you tell me about it?

Joe: Ah! You must be talking about the Tripartite (the three in one) brick building that for 40 years was home to school children from 1st to 12th grades, and for another 47 years still part of the educational system. Why, what caught your eye?

Flo: I liked its style with its Renaissance Villa look and the brick trimmed with Terra Cotta, and then there's the main entrance with that kind of: neo-classical revival-style design that just sets it off, inviting you to come in and sit a spell. Plus that very impressive Water Tower nearby that seems to say, "we belong together." It appears to me that once upon a time, it was the hub of the city activity, with families traveling in and out and children playing on the school grounds, laughing and enjoying the day. It looks like it is sitting empty now. Could it not be refurbished and used once again?

Joe: Well, I am told that after a reuse study was done, it was deemed in relatively good condition and structurally sound. Interior spaces for the most part are large with the load bearing walls lining the corridors and partition walls can be expanded to accommodate other size of rooms as needed. Windows are large enough to filter in natural light and with window upgrades could meet the "green" energy specs. They tell me existing high ceilings, vertical chases, extensive tunnel systems, and connected ducts to rooftop vents, will allow ease in updating the electrical and heating needs of today and would you believe, it has sky lights? It also sits on the highest point in the city!

Flo: I like the idea with its three distinct, separate buildings that it could be utilized for many different functions, and could be developed one building at a time as funding becomes available. What, are the needs and wants of the city families?

Joe; I hear they would like to have a community center- Space to socialize with friends and family and hold community activities. I know for a fact the public library needs more room and wouldn't it be neat to have a children's activity center? I could even see a historical room within the complex which could house school and city memorabilia and could include city, school and library minutes where folks could wander in, read, and get caught up on the activities happening in our community.

Flo: Gee, there looks like with three different buildings, it could house all of that, and I like the idea that it is connected by corridors so one can go from one unit to the other without having to go outside. If I lived in this town, I would enjoy having a coffee shop inside where I could sit and visit or read a book before I head off for home or in the winter months could use the corridors for a strenuous walk from one end to the other, and winters do get long here in Minnesota. Well, gotta' go, but keep me undated on what is happening to that beautiful town square!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are highly encouraged to share your opinions and thoughts. Comments are moderated, and will not be posted until reviewed, anything that may be inappropriate for all ages will not be posted.

PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR NAME WITH THE COMMENT OTHERWISE IT MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED.