Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Diet Time

This is the time of the year when the weight loss and fitness places go crazy. After all, who didn't consume more food and treats over the holiday?

I was raised to clean my plate and it's not very often I leave the table with food on my plate. Whatever size portion I get in a restaurant, it's gone. At least that's the way it use to be.

The older we get the less we eat. It's that way for me anyway and perhaps that is because we are not as active. I eat more slowly and am not at all shy about requesting a take home box.

I tend to shy away from buffets because I feel obligated to get my money's worth. I can't do that any more either, especially for a noon meal. Fill me up at noon and a half hour nap is a necessity before being able to accomplish anything the rest of the afternoon.

Some of these companies advertising for weight loss on the radio and television try to make the concept  technical and make a person buy the expensive food they sell to boot. I think there are two key ingredients: Change eating habits and exercise! Then you have to deal with the mind over matter issue.

Kasson-Mantorville residents should be the healthiest around. We have two quality workout places in Xtreme Fitness and Anytime Fitness plus Community Education offers many fitness activities. During the warmer months we have the walking/biking trails. I would look into one of these  before ever calling on Jenny Craig or Nutrisystem. Then you have the Adkins diet, South Beach Diet and  soup diet. The list goes on. Beware of any scheme for losing weight that has the word "diet" in it. Watching your diet is more sensible.

Stick with the local offerings and local people who are interested in a healthier you. Don' let those commercials get you down.


No comments:

Post a Comment

You are highly encouraged to share your opinions and thoughts. Comments are moderated, and will not be posted until reviewed, anything that may be inappropriate for all ages will not be posted.

PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR NAME WITH THE COMMENT OTHERWISE IT MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED.